Wednesday 5 November 2008

Albergo Da Giovanni, isola del Giglio


It must be the traditional winter radiator effect: I long for a nice sunny beach... I know, I know, I'm the lucky one living in BCN, by the sea, and yet...
Anyway, I have a thing for small southern Italian islands, and Giglio is one on my list...

Crystal clear waters, nice rocks to climb for the kids, and the beach to yourself if you go in September like we did last year.
The island is pretty much empty apart from a 3 small villages, linked by the one road: you arrive with the ferry at Giglio Porto, you get across the island through the highest point, Giglio Castello, and then down again to Giglio Campese, simple enough. As I said, pretty much one road, no real need for a car there...
If you're in for lying out on a sunny beach, like I certainly am, I would recommand Giglio Campese, not a real village but there's a tiny port with an impressive old tower, it's the larger sandy beach of the island, and it is facing to the south-west so you enjoy the sun until the evening, unlike Giglio Porto, and the rocks take on incredible colours at sunset.

Albergo Da Giovanni is a good place to go, great settings and nice food, the rooms are nothing special but the view wins it all, just a few stairs away from the sea...





No comments: